....... Divertimento: Banana courtesy

Monday 6 June 2011

Banana courtesy

Have you seen badly bruised bananas at the supermarkets? Perhaps you are like me – I cannot seem to bring myself to pull apart a bunch of bananas to single them out. I think bananas should be treated witbanana cakeh respect and should be an all or nothing proposition i.e. buy the whole bunch or leave it alone. Recently, my bananas have been ripening faster than I can eat them because of the hot weather. So today, I decided to make a banana cake with the last two (already spotted) bananas. Over ripe bananas make great cakes as they are sweeter and moist. So here’s my favorite banana cake recipe. It was given to me by a great friend and I should give credit where it’s due so let’s call it Dave’s Scrumptious Banana Cake recipe. It is super easy to follow and definitely fail-proof.

Dave’s Scrumptious Banana Cake 香蕉蛋糕

Ingredients
2 ripe bananas
1 cup self-raising flour
50 gm butter (melted)
1 egg (beaten)
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder

Preheat oven to 190°C
Line a 20cm by 10 cm (8” by 4”) loaf pan with two layers of baking paper.

Method


  1. Mash the ripe bananas on a flat surface (eg chopping board). Make sure the bananas are mashed well to ensure that there will not be lumps in the cake.

  2. Sift the flour and cinnamon powder into a mixing bowl. Add in the castor sugar.

  3. Add the mashed banana, melted butter, beaten egg, vegetable oil and vanilla essence.

  4. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients.

  5. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan and bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Note: I melt butter by microwaving it in a cup for about 30 seconds. Stand and stir melting butter to melt completely.

No comments: