....... Divertimento: Quick and easy

Friday 12 August 2011

Quick and easy

We were doing a bit of reminiscing last night and my son reminded me oHoney Crunchies with pig and bearsf his childhood favorite treat - honey crunchies. It was a must-have at all his birthday parties and his friends used to ask me to make them for their birthdays too. These are very easy to make and keep well, a good recipe to make together with children who want to try their hands at cooking. Honey crunchies are also good for school bake sales as they travel well in the school bus. Dare I say, they are quite healthy compared to store bought sweets – at least, they are additives-free. I took this opportunity to try out my new silicone muffin pans. My verdict? They are great as they stack up into a compact pile when not in use – great space saver in the cupboard PLUS you can fit more into the oven if you place them on a large baking tray. I think I am ready to get rid of my metal patty pans………

Honey Crunchies
Honey Crunchies mix
Ingredients
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp honey
4 cups cornflakes

Preheat oven to 170 C (or 160C if it’s a fan forced oven)

Method


  1. Line cupcake or muffin pans with paper patty cases.

  2. Place cornflakes in a bowl.

  3. In a small saucepan, melt butter, sugar and honey over low heat. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved but be careful not to boil the mixture. (This step can be done in a microwave oven.)

  4. Cool slightly then pour the melted mixture over the cornflakes. Toss lightly to mix well.

  5. Fill paper patty cases with the mixture and bake for 10-12 minutes.

  6. The honey crackles will still be sticky when you remove them from the oven. They will crisp as they cool. When completely cool, store in an airtight container.


Honey Crunchy in silicone cup Honey Crunchies
Makes about 12

No comments: